Re: Question about fuel additive-VSR

To: "Scotty" <scotty@dove.net.au>, "mg-mmm" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Question about fuel additive-VSR
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 19:33:14 +0100
With the UK having recently lost (and then regained some) leaded we have
recently gone through a lot of this ourselves.  You might like to have a
look at the 'Spanners' and 'Unleaded' page on the website below, I have
assembled lots of links to useful info - in particular the Federation of
British Historic Vehicle Clubs which organised a set of tests of additives
and compared the resulting VSR with raw unleaded and leaded.  Not all
additives that were tested came out approved, the failures remained
anonymous but at least one or two are said to have been the infamous tin
pellets which actually increased VSR.

We also have LRP (lead replacement petrol) which has a low dose of one of
the additives.  Even the government warned that it was not suitable for
sustained high speed/heavy load use.  Also some info on 'memory effect'
which theorises that older engines will be protected by all the thousands of
miles worth of lead they have already digested.

The UK has a dispensation to continue to sell a minute proportion of leaded
which everyone expected to be used up by racetracks, but Bayford Thrust are
selling it at an increasing number of independants around the country and
say there is more than enough to supply all the classics in the country.

PaulH.
http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk