Re: Question about fuel additive-VSR

To: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>, "MGB" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Question about fuel additive-VSR
From: Barrie Robinson <barrier@bconnex.net>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 17:30:04 -0400
I drove a 1970 MGB GT for 8 years through rain, sleet, and snow.  I was not
gentle with the engine having had a Maserati Biturbo for 6 years and a 1968
Maserati Mistrale for pouncing around.  When the car was laid up for a
rebuild the engine was as strong as a horse and no signs of VSR.  I tested
Shell gas for a year in my rebuilt Austin Healey and Shell made a special
measuring device - No VSR there either although I did not trash the engine
but I did Vroom Vroom.

At 10:40 AM 5/10/00 -0700, Max Heim wrote:
>VSR = valve seat recession, the consequence of using unleaded fuel in a
>engine designed for leaded fuel.
>
>Though I would suspect that most Bs at this point in their lives have
>been treated to a head rebuild with new valve seats, and that unleaded
>fuel is not an issue.
>
>Dave Wood had this to say:
>
>>Scotty,
>>
>>I've been adding a lead replacement to my 72 B since they quit selling
>>leaded fuel in the States.  The additive in not lead, it is something
>>presumably less toxic to people and the environment but accomplishes the
>>same valve lubrication that the older cars need.  I suspect that listers
>>will come up with some suitable definitions of VSR.  I can think of some,
>>but none printable.  So, what is a bowser?
>>
>>Dave 72 B

Regards
Barrie Robinson
barrier@bconnex.net