Re: J-B Weld, is it really that good?

To: BobMGT@aol.com
Subject: Re: J-B Weld, is it really that good?
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 17:02:13 -0500
At 09:06 AM 5/11/2000 EDT, Bob Donahue <BobMGT@aol.com> wrote:
>The clutch linkage lever and rods on my TD have worn out holes (oversized
and oval shaped). The restoration manual suggest having holes filled up
with weld and then redrilled. I'm wondering if J-B Weld is tough enough to
do the trick. Is this a dumb idea? Has anyone tried this? I've always heard
amazing testimonies to the strength of this stuff and I've had good luck
with it myself.

>BTW: What is this stuff made of? My theory is that it's just epoxy filled
with metal particles.

J-B Weld is a very good adhesive and filler for metal parts.  I have
recently found it to be good at glueing sheet metal body parts together
rather than welding for patch panels.  However, it is not very good in
compression and abrasive wear conditions.  You are correct in that it is an
epoxy filled with metal particles.  I'm sure it would quickly crumble or
wear away if used as a bearing material in a linkage pivot point.  OTOH,
welding in the holes and redrilling is SOP, not terribly expensive, and
does indeed replace the steel in the joint, and the finished job should be
as good as a new part.  An alternative would be drilling to a larger
diameter and installing a bushing, but welding and redrilling is probably
about as cheap.

Barnay Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg