Re: J-B Weld, is it really that good?

To: Bill Saidel <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>
Subject: Re: J-B Weld, is it really that good?
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 16:24:52 -0500
At 11:16 AM 5/12/2000 -0400, Bill Saidel wrote:

>     Would J-B Weld be good body filler for the Crack O'Doom until a real
solution is attempted?

As an interrim step, yes, worth a try.

Use a flat sheet metal reinforcement piece on the inside, at least 2 inches
wide and longer than the crack.  As best youcan, form it to the contour of
the door shell.  Clean the inside of the door sheel down to bare metal and
glue the patch piece in place with JB Weld over the entire surface.  Using
the fast set version of JB Weld you can hold the patch in place for about 5
minutes while it set up.  The entire surface near the crack has to be
bonded firmly to ceep the metal from moving at the crack.  Then fill the
crack with JB Weld, sand smooth, finish and paint the outside in the normal
manner.  With a little luck this may be good forever without the crack ever
reappearing (maybe).

I did this for a small hole in the bonnet of my MGA many years ago, and it
held up fine for a few years.  Then one particularly hot summer day between
hard autocross runs the heat in the engine bay got to it and the patch let
loose.  More recently I have used it to adhear small patch pieces to cover
rust perforation holes in body sheet metal with good results.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg