Please read and advice (if possible)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Please read and advice (if possible)
From: "Dennis Berman" <dberman@nortelnetworks.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 10:02:55 -0500 (CDT)
                            RE: 1977 MGB Engine Trouble

Dear Members,

I attempted to drive my 1977 MGB from Dallas to Oklahoma City this week
end.
Only got about 50 miles out of dallas before the following problem
happened:

1) Very light white smoke began to enter the cockpit; seemed like I was
    driving through a light fog.

2) White smoke began to come out of the tail pipe. Oil concumption shoot
up
    drastically. Perhaps a quart every 20 miles.

3) Also, oil pressure was building up inside the valve cover. I know
this because
    oil was coming out of the cap and from around the valve cover
gasket. But,
    this was not extreme.

    Note: Water temp was stable and it does not appear to be any type of
coolant
             problem involved.

My thoughts are two fold: First, perhaps a valve problem? Second, and
more
serious, perhaps a ring (which would require an engine rebuild.

So, heres the questions. I would be very appreciative to hear your
thoughts,
ideas, and/or advice.

Question 1: Is there a way that I can diagnosis this? I have the tools
for a compression
test.

Question 2: I am in Plano (very near Dallas). Is there an MG expert in
my area who
rebuilds engines? I have already contacted Art Ziek. He estimates ~5000
to do this
works. And for that kind of money, I can simply buy another (very clean)
MGB.

She has run great, less various typical problems, for several years.
I use her as my daily driver, but looks like I'll be driving the Honda
for awhile.

Again, any thoughts or advice would be very welcome.

Thank you.

Dennis Berman
dberman@nortelnetworks.com