Re: Please read and advice (if possible)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Please read and advice (if possible)
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 15:59:50 -0600
I had all these symptoms in my first 71BGT. The oil pressure and some
foaming in the valve cover caused me to think the problem was in the
charcoal canister (ha! I wished). I was 500 miles from home at the time. So
I just picked up a lot of oil and started heading from Colorado to Nebraska
where I was attending the University of Nebraska at the time.

I didn't get the white smoke in the cockpit until about 20-30 miles from my
destination. The light smoke from the exhaust and the oil consumption I had
for the whole return trip. I was rather dirty when I got back but the car
made it. I had to push start it the last few times I stopped for gas and
oil but fortunately it is flat in the plains (or unfortunately, because no
downhills either).

In the ensuing rebuild, I found that piston #3 had lost its rings. So that
is what I say it is - ring failure. If it was a head gasket, there should
be other symptoms like overheating.

I'd say a compression test for sure. Removing the head should also give you
a good look into the situation - not a difficult job but it could take a an
hour or two of work.  Or a look at the spark plugs also will be an
indicator if you have a black plug with heavy deposits in one of the cylinders.

David
67 BGT
71 BGT
64B in the works?