What is a Replica?

To: jello@ida.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: What is a Replica?
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 03:01:59 -0700
The following is from "Fakes, Frauds, and Replicas...." by
Richard L. Knudson as published in the Sacred Octagon, April
1995, page 26. Richard L. Knudson is noted MG author, and English
professor.  He has met and interviewed many of the MG notables.

"Since we're all M.G. enthusiasts, let's take care of the "R"
word right at the beginning.  In M.G. history, there is only one
acceptable meaning for the word replica: a replica is an exact
copy of the original.  The key word is exact. If you want an
exact copy of an M.G., then it must be built at Abingdon using
the same craftsman, tooling components, and attention to detail.

"The only replicas M.G. ever made were the 21 exact copies of the
M Type team cars which won the Brooklands Double Twelve Race in
1930.  Any other M.G. offered as a replica has to be a fake.
When a true M.G. aficionado hears the term "fake" he or she
immediately thinks of all the shoddy, inept, and vulgar vehicles
one sees being passed off as M.G.s. A fake has no character no
does it have any historical significance. At their February, 1989
meeting, The New England M.G. T Register's Board of Directors
voted to exclude fake M.G.s from being allowed on display or to
be considered for any awards.

"This article may be about fifteen years too late.  There have
been so many undocumented fakes and reproductions built since
1980 that confusion is bound to reign when the next generation or
two of enthusiasts start buying and using cars of uncertain
history.........

"To understand the problems caused by fakes, let's take a look at
the difficulties caused by fakes in the art world....

"My concern is not with art but with M.G. sports cars. I am
especially upset over the fake competition M.G.s, but the fakes
do not stop with them.  There are fake TCs, TDs, TFs, MGAs, and
MGBs. Soon to come will be fake MGCs, MGB/GTs, and Midgets.
There are a couple listed here you may not have heard of.  The
MGA fake does use a chassis from an MGA but has a largely
fiberglass body with MGB mechanical parts...."

When I have someone tell me that a friend, relative, etc. has a
car just like my genuine TD, and it's a fake, I feel cheated.

BTW: Datsun produced Austins under license.  Are they "Austins?"
The 320 Datsun pickup used a 1300cc engine identical to the
1500cc MGA engine, except for the capicity, even to the use of
SAE fasteners.  You could take it out and put in any MGA engine.
Some people even put in an 1800cc engine.