Re: What is a Replica?

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What is a Replica?
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 10:40:30 -0700
Hmmm. I don't know that I would interpret this quotation as applying to
the case of the VW-based "TD" kit car. In this case there is no intention
of "fraud" or of passing it off as a "real" MG -- it is almost more like
a tribute, an affordable way of semi-recreating a classic car that is no
longer available new. Whether that is a worthwhile endeavour,  or a
worthy execution of the concept, is arguable, and everyone has their own
opinion. But what Knudson seems to be complaining about are modified or
reconstructed MGs that are being passed off as rarer or more desirable
models. I am not familiar with what MG models these might be, but I
imagine that it is similar to the Austin-Healey 100M situation, where
many standard 100s are being modified to M spec, which is fine, so long
as they are not being sold as factory Ms, presumably for a higher price.
Anyway, the issue of "replicars" in this sense is a controversial one in
the world of collecting and in vintage racing, but the VW-based hybrid
would not arouse any ire on this basis, only pity and scorn (deserved or
not). It is not a fake or a fraud, nor a replica in the sense defined by
Mr. Knudson -- it may be best described as an "imitation". IMHO...

Bullwinkle had this to say:

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149