RE: What is a Replica?

To: "'Bullwinkle'" <yd3@nvc.net>
Subject: RE: What is a Replica?
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 10:01:27 -0700
This should be addressed to the original author, so please take it as read
that I am happy to have copies of this sent to him.

The term "works replica" was in common usage during the sixties to denote
vehicles that were modified to the same specifications as the cars raced by
the parent Motor Company.  Many of these modifications used factory sourced
parts, many of which were installed by the factory competition department.

The statement that there is only one acceptable meaning for the word
"replica" in MG history is an attempt to rewrite history.  Many "works
replica" MGs were privately entered in races and rallys.  To re-define the
term is a dash in the face of the privateers who helped make the MG name
famous in racing circles.

        An example of "works" parts are the twelve sets of light alloy body
work made for the MG Magnette in 1956.  These were made for the works rally
cars, and also offered to any competitor who wanted them.  (Bill Price.
"The BMC/BL Competitions Department")

        I am a "living history" advocate.  When I dress as a knight of the
15th century, I am doing my best to reproduce, or replicate the arms and
armour of the time period.  I may not be a very good replica, but I
challenge anyone to call me a fake.
        When I work on my replica of a works Sebring car, trying my best to
adhere to the original homologation specs.  I think I may be allowed to take
umbrage at someone calling it a fake.  It is a copy, inexact and lacking in
many details.  It has no history of European racing that I am aware of, and
I do not represent it as such.  If I did, I would be a fraud, and the car a
fake.

        I have respect for Mr. Knudson, and recommend his latest book on the
MGB.  However I do not agree with his attempt to re-define the common usage
of the term "works replica".

Kelvin Dodd.

> The following is from "Fakes, Frauds, and Replicas...." by
> Richard L. Knudson as published in the Sacred Octagon, April
> 1995, page 26. Richard L. Knudson is noted MG author, and English
> professor.  He has met and interviewed many of the MG notables.
  In M.G. history, there is only one