Re: Choosing a carb for a '79B

To: "Bill Saidel" <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>,
Subject: Re: Choosing a carb for a '79B
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 09:21:47 +0100
Running cars with both I prefer the HS4s.  The HIFs have the main jet and
float valve 'upside down' in the base of the carb and consequently the
access plate is 'under water' - I have had seals fail and leak onto exhaust.
The choke consists of another jet that is buried even further in the body of
the carb, and being a jet can block.  They also came with those dreadful
poppet valves that stick open and interfere with flow.  On the plus side
they are supposed to give better mileage/lower emissions and adjustments are
logically easier - you screw the mixture screw clockwise to get more petrol
in the mixture just the same as you screw the idle screw clockwise to get
more rpms, a bit easier than trying to explain to a newbie which way to turn
the HSs nuts.

My two-penn'orth.

PaulH.