Prefer to do it on top or on bottom?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Prefer to do it on top or on bottom?
From: James Porco <jporco@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 10:36:56 -0400 (EDT)
Hello:

As some of you may recall I am going to replace the clutch plate, bearing,
yada,yada on my 1971 BGT.

I just got the parts and plan on it being a this "weekend job."  When I pickup
the parts, the person I purchased these from asked me whether I was going to do
this via top or bottom.  He said it could be done from the bottom by separating
the trans from the engine rather than pulling the engine out.  Is there a
preference??  Is one better, faster, safer than the other??

I can jack up the car about 18 inches and add a 4X4 lumber for a few more
inches.  This should give me lots of room to maneuver.  Eric Jones told me the
process and said his shop guy used to do clutch plates from underneath in about
two hours!  I have no aspirations about this, but it seems to me to be a lot
simpler than pulling the engine and then reconnecting everything.  I just want
to be on the road again!

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Jim Porco
Dublin, Ohio
1971 BGT