Re:Was-Squeak at downshift-Reply-Now-Eric the Brake & crunch!

To: "Eric" <eric@erickson.on.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re:Was-Squeak at downshift-Reply-Now-Eric the Brake & crunch!
From: "Scotty" <scotty@dove.net.au>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 19:57:46 +0930
On Monday, June 05, 2000 Eric opined

> But... it doesn't sound as good (especially if you can get a decent POP,
> CRACKLE and GURGLE happening).
>
> and
>
> it seems a little rougher on the car if you have to slam your foot down
> on the accelerator again after letting the car idle down just using the
> brakes (I hate driving automatics for a similar reason).

Eric,
        apart from the satisfactory noises, when the road speed and rev
ccounter tell you to downshift, do it, and you have the right gear to firmly
accelerate into the fray once again.  I use the manual gear change on the
Automatic family car to give me more fun driving around the twisty bits, or
where there are a lot of circulars to negotiate in a short distance, 8^).

> Yeah... I think it comes down to the MUCH MORE FUN idea.  And hell, > we
are going to spend money on these cars anyway so why smimp on > the odd
gearbox or so (I hate the fact that I still can't heel/toe properly).

I just never have been financial enough to 'smimp' on a gear box, and
heeling and toeing is a skill I never did get right in a car with standard
pedal configuration, to do it right , you gotta set the pedals up for 'your'
feet for it to work for you!

> Oh yeah, becuase I can't heel/toe properly, I lift the clutch briefly
> when HARD braking to give me a rev so I can crunch her into 2nd - with
> as little of the CRUNCH as possible.

Primrose must be overjoyed <BG>.  But I know what you mean, and who really
needs those synchros any how?  Last time out on the track you took a whole
second off your best time around Mallalla race track so you're doing it OK
for my money.  If it works for you, go for it. IMHO.

However I stand by the theory, that, on the road,  showing the brake lights
to warn following drivers of your intentions to slow down, makes sense as a
defensive driving technique.

> PS I think every 2nd line of the above is tongue in cheek.  You choose
> the lines that you prefer.

L8R,

Scotty,