Re:Was-Squeak at downshift-Reply-Now-Eric the Brake & crunch!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:Was-Squeak at downshift-Reply-Now-Eric the Brake & crunch!
From: "Keith Gernert" <kgernert@triad.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 12:55:44 -0400
> > it seems a little rougher on the car if you have to slam your foot down
> > on the accelerator again after letting the car idle down just using the
> > brakes (I hate driving automatics for a similar reason).

Well, I don't know about being hard on the car, but right now my B does not
like to
keep running at idle once it's warmed up.  By downshifting, I can be sure it
keeps
running until I get to the point where I actually have to stop.

> However I stand by the theory, that, on the road,  showing the brake lights
> to warn following drivers of your intentions to slow down, makes sense as a
> defensive driving technique.

I always use the brake pedal in such situations, if only enough to be sure the
brake
lights are on.

But, the point about brake pads costing a fraction of a clutch job is a good
one.
Once I can be sure my car will idle well, I'll be off the downshifting.

--
Keith Gernert
79 MGB