Re: Fuel and Lever Question

To: "MGB" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel and Lever Question
From: "Dave Wood" <djw69@idt.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 11:35:46 -0700
Doug,

The lever by your right knee controls the air intake vent that comes in from
the chromed vent in front of your windshield.  Pushed all the way toward the
engine shuts off the flow of air to the vents on the dash and above your
feet.  Pulled all the way toward you opens the vent all the way and the
center position closes off half of the air.  The vents in the middle of your
dash can be moved to control where the air is directed.  Hardly noticeable
when the top is down.  If you're not getting any air, you might check inside
the chrome vent, it tends to fill with filled with leaves and such.   The
gas smell is not "normal", but not unusual in this age car.  If there are no
apparent leaks, it may be associated with the charcoal canister and it's
vent pipe.  There is a pipe that leads from the canister, which is mounted
on the passenger side fire wall in the engine compartment, that goes to the
gas tank and it sometimes gets clogged with gunk (technical term).  You
might try blowing it clear (the pipe not the canister).  One of the other
connections goes to the carbs which is supposed to allow the carbs to burn
the vapors.  Sometimes this can release fumes that you can smell if the
connections aren't tight.  I hope it isn't your gas tank as someone else
suggested.  I'm not sure of an easy way to check the top of the tank, maybe
someone else has an idea about that.

Good luck on your 73,

Dave 72B