Re: No oil leaks!?

To: "Anne and Richard Spurling" <hobbes@senet.com.au>,
Subject: Re: No oil leaks!?
From: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@iname.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 07:46:11 -0600 (MDT)
An uncle of mine ran a transmission shop, his claim was that those did
work for a while.  He said they would cause all of the rubber seals
they come in contact with to swell, then after a bit of time become
brittle, then crack, then you are screwed.

I had a Chevette in college that leaked like crazy, when I drove 500
miles to school I had to add oil many times on the way.  The spray was
so bad I actually had oil running down the outside of the rim on the
passenger side front tire when I would stop to add more.  With his help
I pulled it apart and changed the seals.

On Mon, 12 Jun 2000 08:42:23 -0400 (EDT), Bill Saidel wrote:

>Given the number of people with leaky MG's on this list and their
>histories, does anyone know if any of the commercial 'oil leak
>inhibitors' or 'gasket rehydrators' work?
>
>I know, it is not as amusing as the method below and not as elegant as
>pulling an engine to repair a rear engine seal, but maybe such a product
>does reduce the modern art on my garage floor.
>
>Bill
>76B

Andrew Lundgren
Lundgren@iname.com