Re: Oil Rating

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil Rating
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 08:40:41 -0700
Someone else explained it that way recently, but I don't think that is
quite correct. It seems to defy the laws of physics. The measured
viscosity (of a single weight of oil) would generally get higher when
cold, and lower when warm, all else being even. I suspect it means
something more like "when cold, flows no worse than 20w (light oil) at
that temperature; when warm, offers the same lubricating qualities as 50w
(heavy oil) at that temperature". In other words, it doesn't "change"
from one viscosity to the other -- it is referring to two different
properties: one associated with low viscosity numbers (flow), and one
associated with high viscosity numbers (protection against wear). How it
manages that, I don't know.

Or maybe I just have no idea what I'm talking about...

Eugene Balinski had this to say:

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149