Re: Filling steering rack, '69 B.(longish)

To: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Subject: Re: Filling steering rack, '69 B.(longish)
From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 14:03:42 -0500
Hi Max,

  Thanks, to each hiz/her own, I guess.  As I said in another post, I
figure once the gaiters are correctly installed, it's best to leave
well-enough alone.

  Actually, I overfilled mine to begin with.  After I topped it up with
it centered but before I put the damper assy back in I turned it to the
locks and it overflowed.  So after a few more lock-to-lock excursions it
looked the way I described it in the first post.  Next time I'll know
when to stop pouring in the oil. (G)

  Did you replace just the rack or the entire rack assembly?  I ask
because there were quite a few messages in the mgcars.org.uk mgb
technical archives about how to line up the steering column and the
pinion shaft.  There's a special alignment tool called for in the
Bentley manual for this in the collapsible column section but some of
the archive writers came up with some pretty sneaky ways to do it in the
absence of the tool.

  CR