Help, 68 with the shakes

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Help, 68 with the shakes
From: "Phillips, Frank" <fwp@ufl.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 00:17:28 -0400
Listers,

Help!!! Tonight I went to take my 68B out for a spin and was unable to motor
out of the drive, rolled back down hill into the garage.

The engine has developed a case of the shakes at higher RPM (any RPM above
idle). I'm thinking it's a fuel/carb problem??? What are the clasic signs of
one carb running lean or rich? My front spark plugs are black with soot
while the rear two look great. BTW, new plugs do not help the problem. I did
put in a Lucas Sport Coil a week ago and have run the car twice since with
no problem, I've yet to change the plug gaps. BTW2, the engine mounts do
appear in good order.

Could this be timing? How would I tell?

How should an MGB engine sound/act when well tuned? I've only had the B for
a month and am never sure if it is happy.

Thanks...

Frank Phillips
fwp@ufl.edu
68 MGB