Re: Help, 68 with the shakes

To: "Phillips, Frank" <fwp@ufl.edu>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Help, 68 with the shakes
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 07:41:52 -0700
Frank,

My guess is your front carb is flooding. Perhaps the float valve (needle &
seat) is stuck, or the float has "sunk".
The sooty plugs are a definite clue.

How should an MGB run? Smooth, quiet and powerful.

Firing order is 1-3-4-2, with 1 usually coming from the 1-o'clock position
on the distributor cap - but that's easily changed by re-fitting the drive
spindle in an other-than-original position so don't assume your engine was
put back together correctly last time it was apart. The proper way is to set
the engine with no. 1 piston at tdc on the firing stroke (i.e. with neither
of the rockers on no. 1 cylinder touching their valve stems), then see where
the rotor in the distributor is pointing. That is the terminal from which
the wire to no. 1 cylinder should go.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center