Re: @#%@^%!!!!

To: MG Listserver <mgs@autox.team.net>, Neil Cotty <neilc@apphosting.com>
Subject: Re: @#%@^%!!!!
From: Chris Attias <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 11:14:58 -0700
Neil,

There is a difference between the two cranks, and I think you are
right--the machinist should have checked at some point.  The problem
is that if the engine is received in pieces or comes with
owner-supplied new/nos  parts, the epiphany might not come 'til it's
too late.

  Has your machinist done many 1500/1600/1622 engines before?  I've
sent 1800 B-series engines to guys who have never seen one, and had
lots of problems.  Better to let them learn on someone else' engine,
if possible.  If they haven't seen one before, next best thing is to
go in with some good reference material (books, articles, manuals) or
better knowledge than they have if you want it done right.  Your
situation sounds complicated, in that neither you, nor the supplier
of the crank, nor the machinist knew the difference between the two.

At this point,  you might be able to sell either the block or the
crank to an enthusiast and start over.  Which parts do you have the
most money tied up in?  If you really have a NOS 1622 crank, it is an
increasingly rare item.  They are currently N/A from Moss Motors USA.
Good luck.
--
Chris Attias
'64 MGB