Re: @#%@^%!!!!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: @#%@^%!!!!
From: bburrows@webtv.net (Bruce Burrows)
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 18:00:21 -0400 (EDT)
Neil

There is no way in your situation I would opt for modification of a
perfectly good block.  Lots of red flags in my gut on that idea.

I would redouble my efforts to locate the proper crank, and have one
imported if necessary.  You need to burn up the net on this one.

I do agree with your thinking it is better to use a new crank than take
a chance on an old one.  However, if all else fails (and only in that
event) there is the magnafluxing route.  It is affordable.

Also, there is thermal soaking along with other metallurgical tricks
which might give you a bit more confidence with a used crank.  You need
to consult the books and/or a metallurgist, but such things are not
massively expensive.

JMHO   Good luck.

Bruce Burrows

'59 MGA basket case