Re: Smoke and oil - the drama continues, and gets expensive

To: "MGs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Smoke and oil - the drama continues, and gets expensive
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 10:40:54 -0700
Not that it is any consolation to you, but one explanation that occurs to
me is that there was a ridge around the top of the cylinder wall due to
wear (as is typical), worn in through long periods of low RPM operation.
Your more aggressive style (although not in itself inappropriate)
resulted in higher piston speeds, which, combined with bearing wear and
thermal expansion, allowed the top ring to contact this ridge with
increasing force, until it eventually snapped. I believe this phenomenon
is not uncommon under these circumstances. It is for similar reasons that
one is advised to "break in a motor in the manner in which you intend to
drive it". Not your fault that the PO was a wimp, of course. But if you
accept my explanation (and inspection bears it out), it would behoove you
to hone or rebore all the cylinders (at the very least), or risk
repeating the experience. Now, it seems, you have an opportunity to break
in a motor properly. Good luck with it.

Anne and Richard Spurling had this to say:

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149