Re: Smoke and oil - the drama continues, and gets expensive

To: "MGs" <mgs@autox.team.net>, "Jon Paulsen" <a77mgb@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Smoke and oil - the drama continues, and gets expensive
From: "Anne and Richard Spurling" <hobbes@senet.com.au>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 09:47:32 +0930
G'day Jon

> Hey Richard, a couple of points to consider before you
> hang it up until the funds come in (belieeeeeeeve me,
> I know where you're coming from):

Fortunately, I do have a source of funds, provided I can sell the motor bike
(int the middle of the coldest, wettest winter we've had in decades - Hah!).
The bike sale money was supposed to reimburse the family funds for buying
the MG, but I can divert it to a new motor. The new motor was coming, but in
a year or two, not now.

> Also, assuming there is an internal prob. (sounds like
> it), you can often do much less than a rebuild,

If it starts to look like I can't get a rebuild, I'll pull the head and
sump, and replace only what's broken - second hand piston if needed, didn't
think of doing the rings in just one cylinder, nah, they were all a little
down, I'll probably do the lot.

If I'm real lucky, I'll sell the bike this weekend and they'll be tearing
the motor down next week. While this seems like bad timing now, it may
actually prove to be good timing. The bike was going to be advertised this
weekend anyway (the ad was already in the Trading Post). If I had sold it,
then put the money on the mortgage like I was supposed to, and THEN the MG
had broken, I wouldn't have the money for the rebuild would I. So perhaps it
breaking now wasn't such a bad thing after all. See, I must be an MG owner,
I can rationalise any disaster into a positive situation.

Cheers
Richard
        Anne and Richard Spurling
          hobbes@senet.com.au