Re: starter motor test - result

To: Jason B Lonon <j_lonon@lycos.com>
Subject: Re: starter motor test - result
From: yd3@nvc.net
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 17:51:38 -0700
> I got a shower of sparks and the plunger
> shot outwards, but no spinning. I take it this means there something wrong in
>the
> motor. Am I correct?
 Not necessarily.  The solenoid performs two functions. One is to engage the
starter drive with the flywheel of the engine, and the other is to close the
electrical circuit between the battery and the starter motor.

>No one offered an answer for what the other terminal post is for (the one
>marked IGN
> that is not used ?) But that's ok, because I don't really need to know.

I missed out on the first part of the post, but the IGN may stand for ignition.
On the wiring diagram for the 75 midget I have, there are two sources of power
to the ignition coil. One source goes from the run position of the key switch
though a ballast (dropping) resistor and then to the ignition coil. The second
source of current for the coil comes from the start position of the key switch
to the starter solenoid and then to the coil.  What this does is provide a full
twelve volts to the coil when the key switch is in the start position and the
engine is being rotated by the starter.  When the key is released to the run
position the coil operates on less than the twelve volts.

Blake