Re: starter motor test - result

To: mgs list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: starter motor test - result
From: Jon <a77mgb@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 06:53:33 -0700 (PDT)
--- yd3@nvc.net wrote:
> > I got a shower of sparks and the plunger
> > shot outwards, but no spinning. I take it this
> means there something wrong in the
> > motor. Am I correct?
>  Not necessarily.  The solenoid performs two
> functions. One is to engage the
> starter drive with the flywheel of the engine, and
> the other is to close the
> electrical circuit between the battery and the
> starter motor.

So, the next test is to jumper 12 V across the motor
directly, bypassing the solenoid. If she spins, the
solenoid is bad or there's a bad connection, if no
spin, it's probably a bad motor. Often can get by with
brushes and bearings, especially if she sparked, but
no spin when you hit the motor with 12 V. BTW: there
is a troubleshooting guide for such matters, in the
back of the moss catalog, which you can download
www.moss.com. Don't mess up mama's jumper cables doin'
all this arcin'! :-)

jon

=====
This is my list only e-mail address and it may not be
checked regularly. For personal messages, please try
jonp@altavista.net which is normally check Mon-Fri.

http://mail.yahoo.com/