Re: Ignition Coils

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ignition Coils
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 20:56:54 +0000
paul.hunt1@virgin.net wrote:

> A higher voltage coil allows you to open the plug gaps a little so the
> voltage builds more before it jumps the gap and you get a bigger
> spark.
> Unfortunately this higher voltage can cause problems (i.e. breakdowns
> and missing) elsewhere in the ignition circuit unless it is all in
> top-notch condition.

Paul raises an interesting point (ok, well, for me anyway:-)

I put the Lucas Sport (40,000V) Coil in while keeping the spark plug
leads that have been in the car since I bought it - 2 years ago.  The
leads look pretty grotty so they could have been in there quite a few
years more than that.

At 'the track' the other day I felt she was lacking a bit of power
halfway through the day and running a bit rough.  My mechanic, being the
glutton for punishment that he is, had me run the engine while he pulled
#1 lead off (and sucked in the sparks like a champion - pun intended).

Yes, the car did run rougher without this cylinder but we also noted the
distinctive click of that spark escaping elsewhere.  The lead end was
well away from the block.  Upon closer inspection we even noticed
pitting where this lead brushed against the coil.

Do you think this bigger, hotter, mightier spark was showing up
weaknesses in the lead?

I have now replaced all leads and this seems to have rectified the
problem - but I will have to wait until I see my mechanic next because
over the years I have learned to hate those high voltage shots up the
arm.

Eric
'68MGB MkII