advice wanted - clutch slave cylinder replacement

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: advice wanted - clutch slave cylinder replacement
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 08:57:20 -0400
Hi Gang,
     Morning to all. Here's the catch...my 76 clutch MC reservoir emptied
to my surprise on a drive a week ago (as the long-memory listers might
remember). This weekend I replaced the MC. Not really a big deal after I
removed the brake light switch.
     I got under the car and found the slave cylinder (always amazes me
what necessity  allows) and found the external rubber cap ripped to shreds.
I assume something rubber internal is also shredded. But that is not this
problem.

      The undercarriage has been coated with this rubbery substance...I
guess that is why I was able to buy a car with no rust. But now I need to
unscrew the hose and the nuts are coated. Moreover from underneath without
a lift, there is little room to unscrew either the above nut or directly
unscrew the hose if that is possible.

       I did get the slave off with its 2 bolts. Is it true that the rod in
the boot (that goes to the clutch) is only centered in the external rubber cap?

Question 1: should I try to dissolve the rubber stuff around the hydraulic
line-rubber hose connection and if so, what with?

Question 2: what physical position should I contort my body so I might be
able to reach the nut that fastens the rubber hose?
    (clearly a lift would help but that is not an option.)

Anyone out there in my area (Southern NJ) a chiroproctor?

TIA :-}

Bill
'76B