RE: Rear axles

To: "'Glenn Schnittke'" <schnittke@mindspring.com>
Subject: RE: Rear axles
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 10:17:02 -0700
Glenn:

        I'm afraid I'm a bit confused what you are trying to do in your
post.  But here goes.

1.  All MGB rear axle assemblies are narrower for wire wheels than for steel
wheels.

2.  Banjo axle rear axles (63-67 not GT) are unique for wire or steel
wheels, they cannot be interchanged as the wire wheel adapter is driven onto
the axle shaft.  The steel wheel axle is formed with an integral drive
flange.

3.  Saulsbury rear axles (68- all GT) use taper fitted hubs that can be
interchanged from wire wheel axle to steel wheel axle.  These hubs can not
be fitted to the banjo axle.

4.  The Saulsbury rear axle assembly can be installed in an earlier car as a
unit.  There is probably less clearance and the unit could bottom against
the body under heavy loads, but I had no problems when I did it to convert
my 65 MGB to solid wheels.  The U bolts and spring and shock plates must
match the later rear end.

Kelvin.