Timing and overheating

To: "MGB" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Timing and overheating
From: "Dave Wood" <djw69@idt.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 11:32:48 -0700
I put a Pertronix ignitor in my 72 B a while back and had to adjust the
timing as most do in this case.  My problem is that apparently my harmonic
balancer has deteriorated and shifted the timing mark.  I noted where the
timing was before I put the new unit on and then tried to match up with the
Pertronix in.  The car starts and runs well but overheats when I get on it.
I have been retarding the ignition about a degree at a time with the vernier
adjuster and it appears after two degrees to have improved somewhat, but a
ways to go.  I did try to find TDC using my valves and a micrometer on the
#1 piston and made a new mark on the plate beside the harmonic balancer and
made a couple of hash marks only approximated the same as the original.  I
have not seen a replacement balancer and wonder what some of you may have
done as I understand this is not an unusual occurrence.

Thanks for any advice,

Dave 72 B (Lake Oswego, OR)