Re: Timing and overheating

To: mgs list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Timing and overheating
From: Jon <a77mgb@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 11:17:47 -0700 (PDT)
--- Dave Wood <djw69@idt.net> wrote:
> I put a Pertronix ignitor in my 72 B a while back

I dunno what that rascal is, but...

> I have been retarding the ignition about a degree at
> a time with the vernier
> adjuster and it appears after two degrees to have
> improved somewhat, but a
> ways to go.

The best way to determine if timing is the culprit in
an overheating car is to retard the timing at idle
until it starts to run rough, then advance it until it
just smooths out. Advance just until it smooths out,
not until the RPM's pick up... you have to ignore
that. Then test it. Kiss power goodbye, it's just a
test.

If it cools down that way, you might try to "time it
by ear" since the timing marks are no good. Even if
timing marks are "good", you don't have to vary an
engine much to making factory timing recommendations
not the best, and they might not be best anyway. Time
by ear by doing the opposite, advance it until she
runs rough, then retard it just until it smooths out.
You may have to back it down from there if she still
gets hot.

Disclaimer: I see no reason why this won't work with
an MGB, but I have never tried it on an MGB, only
other engines. In fact, until a few weeks ago, I never
owned an MGB, or even a car with any less than 2 times
the displacement. Cute little boogers those 4
cylinders!

jon
(anxiously awaiting time to be able to work and play
with the new toy...)

=====
This is my list only e-mail address and it may not be
checked regularly. For personal messages, please try
jonp@altavista.net which is normally check Mon-Fri.

http://invites.yahoo.com/