Storing parts

To: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Subject: Storing parts
From: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 10:14:43 -0700
I use Red Line assembly lube to coat the machined surfaces I want to
protect, and then put the parts in plastic bags.  They claim it will
adhere for years and prevent rust.  Keep in mind that cranks can warp if
stored flat for long periods, so either replace them in the block after
coating or hang them vertically.  On all non-machined surfaces I spray
WD-40 and put the parts in plastic bags.  (For those who don't know,
WD-40 stands for "Water Displacing formula #40").

I just installed an engine that I rebuilt seven years ago using Red Line
assembly lube and WD-40 in the cylinders.  So far it runs great, and oil
pressure is exactly what it should be, so I think it worked!
--
Stuart MacMillan
Seattle

'84 Vanagon Westfalia