RE: Storing Parts

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Storing Parts
From: Kimo Tichgelaar <77MGB@excite.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 14:39:30 -0700 (PDT)
A friend of mine gets about 1 kilo bags of silica beads from a Harley shop
(used for large crates, like bikes or engines).  This can be baked at 250
degrees F (try overnight) to drive out any absorbed moisture, and then
placed into muslin bags or pillows (seal well, as the dust is abrasive).
For metals, you want very low humidity, about 15 to 20 percent, so lots of
silica is needed, and it must be bone dry before using, or it will release
moisture (it tries to reach equalibrium with the atmosphere).  You must also
get an air-tight seal to keep humidity low.  If you have parts with a mix of
rubber or plastic and metal, the low humidity will cause cracking and
hardening of these materials, so you need to keep a higher humidity of about
40 to 50 percent (above the point iron will rust).  The little bags in
stereos and computers is mostly cosmetic, it will not keep a dry environmet
for long term storage.  The cardboard box does a better job of buffering
humidity at that size.

I might also try a microcrystaline wax as a sealant instead of WD40.  You
can clean it off with alcohol or acetone when the part is needed.  Another
good idea is to try to keep parts where the temp and humidity are stable
(sealed bags can fog, leading to rust, if there is a sudden temperature
change), such as an inside closet, not an attic, basement, or garage
(although my wife might not like an engine block in the house, YMMV).

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000 17:07:43 -0400 , Gordon Bird wrote:

|  What about using the little bags of dessicant(?) that come with various
elec
|  components.  I think the intended purpose is to absorb moisture.  I know
|  have some small parts in plastic bags with these little guys.  Hasn't
been
|  long enough to determine effectiveness though.
|  Just a thought.
|
|  Safety Fast!
|  Gordie Bird
|  62 MGA
|  80 MGB
|  86 Audi 4kq

Kimo Tichgelaar

Museum Registrar, Arkansas State University Museum

"A man with a good car needs no justification/
Fate is in my hands, and in the transmission."
-Gang of Four

Say Bye to Slow Internet!
http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html