Louder tappet noise in non-crossflow Aluminum head

To: "MG Digest" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Louder tappet noise in non-crossflow Aluminum head
From: "N" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 22:46:13 -0400
Andrew Lundgren's question below about more tappet noise raises a question.

Too many years ago to relate, I drag raced a 6-cylinder Chevy (Stovebolt
Six).  It was quick for the time & held the class record for a while.  My
best 1/4 mile time was 16.4.  Slow now, but...

One of the modifications I made when running Altered class was to run a cam
from the automatic ("Powerslide" to those who remember.) trans engine as it
was the only difference between that & the stick engine and it was rated at
another 10 h.p. (125 vs 115).  However, I ran it with solid lifters, not the
a/t engine's hydraulic lifters.  Someone told me that because the hydraulic
lifter cam didn't have "take-up ramps" designed into the cam profile, it was
necessary to run REALLY small clearances.  If my failing memory is right, I
set exhaust at something like .005 & the intake at .003.

Did it work?  You betcha!  The engine idled as if it had a 3/4 race cam.
And, ran like a scalded cat.  My shift point was 6,000 rpm's.  Wish I could
have seen the look on the face of the guy driving the '61 Fuelie Vette when
I smoked him off the line in Time Trials.  Of course when he passed me he
was going about twice as fast as I was.

But, here's the question - is there any advantage to running closer
clearances on our MGB's for racing.  Perhaps .010?  It will increase valve
opening and duration.  But, will it cause problems?  I did set gaps at .013
last race.  Got rid of ALL of the valve clatter.  But, since I didn't have
anyone timing me, I never had the opportunity to try the changes for effect
on times.

Any camshaft engineers out there?????

Norm Sippel
'66 MGB - New paint, and now new top, although it still doesn't fit quite
right.

Subject: Questions about non-crossflow Aluminum head

"Since I know now that there are a few other listers with the standard AL
head I will ask a few nagging questions:

My AL head seems to tap much louder than the iron one did.

This has me a bit worried, but as I have never heard another I don't know
what is good/bad.  I am also running a mild performance cam with my vales
gapped at .18 rather than the stock .15."

Thanks!

Andrew