strange noises and other questions

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: strange noises and other questions
From: William Killeffer <wtkilleffer@tn.freei.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 23:10:55 -0400
Hello, listers,
I took the b out for one last ride before removing the radiator and water
pump and after replacing the tie rod boots. All seemed well except for a
popping noise that occured around 3500 rpm. My guess would be a misadjusted
carb, burned valve, or leaking exhaust at the manifold. Of course, it could
be nothing. I just am thinking the worst because the car seems to have been
indifferently maintained and I'm a novice to all this stuff.
Also, is there any danger to running the car w/o a choke? the choke cable on
this car is intact, but no matter how hard I try, I cannot pull it at the
dash. Also, how does this cable hook up? I've seen pictures that show a
bracket that the cable comes up into, but this is missing from my car
(1974). I would like to get it functioning again so it won't stall so much
at first.
All in all, the car is quite responsive and a blast to drive, even though
the carbs might not be tuned correctly. I took it up to 3500 at least every
opportunity, and the power there is surprising for such a small engine.
Future plans include a tube shock conversion as most of the rubber bits on
the suspension are perishing and a repaint. The car might have been yellow
originally, and is red now.
If I could just get those brake lights working all would be well. Some
listers have made suggestions which I'll try next. It is frustrating, to say
the least.
-William Killeffer
1974 MGB GHN5UE344129