Re:SU carb problem, part III

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re:SU carb problem, part III
From: Jeff Fayne <fayne@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 23:02:07 -0500
"Phillips, Frank" wrote:

<snip>

> without the jet, rises and falls in place nicely. When the
jet is fitted
> with the jet-locking nut loose it works fine. When I
tighten the nut while
> holding the piston pressed down it always binds. It seems
when the nut is
> turned it should wobble in the hole; the only thing
holding it in place is
> the jet. In other words, as it is tightened it pushes
against the needle
> thus causing the binding. So, how do I correct this? Could
the jet bearing
> actually be sitting on an angle? Oh, almost forgot, I have
used both the new
> and old needles and jets.

Starting to venture out of my area of expertise, I have the
spring-loaded
needles, so I didn't have centering problem.  Lawrie's SU
rebuild video mentions
that you may have to rap on the jet bearing several time to
get the centering
correct. (Available through Moss;  very educational and
entertaining ( I
particularly like the use of the word 'nubbins' , cracks me
up every time I
watch it)
Perhaps Lawrie can elaborate...

> BTW the SU tool kit that MOSS sales sucks! The
jet-centering tool does not
> fit into the piston or jet bearing holes, it's too big!

I may be wrong, but the tool you're referring to may be for
the Zenith carbs...

> Anyway, thanks for the help...

Disclaimer: No profits were gained from mentioning Lawrie'
videos, other than I
got a laugh again when I typed the word, nubbins  :)

Jeff
'70B