Re: OD in 3rd gear?

To: "MGB" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: OD in 3rd gear?
From: "Dave Wood" <djw69@idt.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 09:51:58 -0700
Scott,

I believe that only in the later years (74 or 75 on?) were you restricted to
4th in o.d.   The o.d. drops the ratio in 3rd just like it does in 4th, by
about 20%.  It's handy when cruising between 45 and 55 as it puts you in a
better power position so you don't lug the engine when going up a hill.  My
72 pulls a hill pretty well in 4th at 45 to 55 but 3rd and od would be
better if I needed to pass someone quickly.  Now I need to down shift to 3rd
to quickly move around a car.  If I had od, I would probably put on the od
instead of going to 4th gear when on a hilly road in that speed range.  When
I bought my 72 (in Jan. 1972) I decided against getting an overdrive.  My
thinking at the time was that it was just something that could break.  I
didn't know how strong the od in the lbc's was at the time.  Live and learn
as they say.

Dave 72 B