Re: Engine choice

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine choice
From: Dave Quirt <quirt@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 21:32:54 -0600
Jack:

The early 3-main MGB gearbox with MGA tailcase and shifter extension
fits the same as the A box (well, at least the same as a 15GD 1500 to
1600 Mk2 - the earlier 1500 needs the later rear engine plate and the
starter bump-out on the right side floorboard). The 5-main version is
identical to the 3-main version except for the larger clutch pilot
shaft, which would be swapped for a 3-main version (A or B). The latest
'67 box has the larger layshaft. As noted by others, the 1800 engine is
dead easy to swap into the A.

The late MGB box is the tough one to fit!! Don't bother - been there
done that once!!!!

My preference is MGB OD gearbox in the A, preferably the '67 version.
It's not a difficult installation which was written up by John Wright
way back in MGA! His e-mail is <mogfrog1@aol.com>.

Dave Q.