Re: Problem: fuel-related or ? [long]

To: mvheim@studiolimage.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Problem: fuel-related or ? [long]
From: RobMGB@aol.com
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 09:16:23 EDT
In a message dated 8/11/00 8:26:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mvheim@studiolimage.com writes:

<< Then I got stuck behind a double-parker for a couple minutes, and when I
 finally got a gap, and tried to shoot out, there was a very loud "bang"
 (like a backfire or exhaust explosion) and I lost power. After two
 smaller bangs and at least one puff of black smoke, the engine quit >>
My 71B has allison ignition with hot coil and an external ballast. I had
similar "loud bang" followed by car dying at idle. Looked under bonnet and
wiggled things around without seeming to find anything. It started back up
and ran fine. Later that weekend it seemed to loose power like it wasn't
firing when I was cruising at 40mph. Source of problem turned out to be
connection working loose at external ballast. Your problem could be same or a
different loose connection. B engine vibrates and ya gotta raise bonnet very
once in a while and check things out.

RobMGB
74B