Re: Problem: fuel-related or ? [long]

To: yd3@nvc.net
Subject: Re: Problem: fuel-related or ? [long]
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 12:01:13 EDT
Max:

    The big battery junction on the starter can cause problems. The brown
wire terminal became loose on my '71 at this point (actually the wire to
terminal connection got loose). For a long time this condition was
intermittent and the only symptom was the radio cutting out for several
seconds at a time while playing a CD (I blamed it on the radio). The battery
voltage to everything was monetarily cutting out, but so briefly as to be
undetectable (to everything except the radio which had to restart the CD).
Eventually the cut-outs became longer and it started affecting the ignition.
I didn't catch on to the real problem until I noticed the headlights blinking
off.

In a message dated 8/12/00 5:51:52 AM !!!First Boot!!!, yd3@nvc.net writes:

> Max:
>
>  FWIW: Years ago, before emission controls, it was a kids trick to turn of
> the
>  ignition of a car while coasting, and then turn it back on.  If it was done
>  correctly, the engine would give a very loud backfire.  I cannot attest to
>  exactly what the correct proceedure was, but that is what I understand.
>  Therefore, I would say that the wire came loose enough to loose ignition,
>  contacted enough to fire one big load of hot fuel, and the resulting
> vibration
>  caused the wire to completely loose contact.
>
>  Blake

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336