70 MGB no start after complete rebuild

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 70 MGB no start after complete rebuild
From: "Dereck C" <derex39@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 13:39:11 GMT
1) Car quit running June 98, thought to be lack of fuel
2) Rebuilt carbs using Lawrie's video and other manuals, no change
3) Compression check, seals found to be very poor (2 cracked pistons and
multiple broken rings)
4) June 98 - Feb 2000 accumlate multiple parts (new pistons, reground cam,
aluminum head (original cracked))
5) March 2000 components taken to machine shop to be machined and balanced
6) June 2000 - July 2000 reassembled the block (new bearings, rings,
gaskets, oil pump, clutch assembly, copper head gasket) using the rebuild
video, haynes, shop manual, Twist's instructions
7) August 2000 attached transmission, hoisted into to car, attached all
accessories (new battery).
8) Attempt to run - wrrr, wrrr, wrrr.  Timed (18GH) engine statically 10
degrees, very very weak spark - deduced bad capacitor (replaced points,
capacitor, rotor, cap, wires, coil)
9) Spark at plugs thin and yellow (wrrr, wrrr, wrrr). (should be blue and
wide?)
10) Timed engine again statically 10 degrees, used timing light to
dynamically time to 14 degrees (engine rotating on starter power only, right
thing to do?).  wrrr, wrrr, wrrr
11) Check fuel in float bowls, its there.  Fuel pump is pumping to bowls.
Lift dampers with fingers and turning engine over, no change.  No sign of
fuel around needles (should there be?)
12) Yesterday (last resort) sprayed starter fluid into closed carbs, one
spray in each.  wrrr, wrrr, wrrr, puthh, wrrr, wrrr, puthh, wrrr, wrrr,
wrrr.

I am running out of ideas.  Today, I am going to see if I am out 180 degrees
on the timing by changing the plug wires around (1,3,4,2).  If that does not
work I am going to spary starter fluid into open carbs (though I hate to, I
have heard you can do some serious damage with that stuff).  Still no go, I
am going to wire the positive terminal directly to the coil (temporarily)
and change the LT lead to the coil.  Please tell me someone has experienced
this before and knows exactly what the deal is.  It is acting exactly like
it was before the rebuild.  All I can remember then was that it just stop
running and I could never get it to run again.  I know I have changed alot
of variables (new parts and rebuilds) and I know that is not the right
approach to take, you live and learn.  FYI, I bought the car in May 1998,
one month prior to step one.  So I don't know the history prior to that,
could be some serious DPO in it!.

Come on MG list gods don't let me down.

Dereck

FYI I am on the digest, so please respond to my address.
70 MGB