Re: 70 MGB no start after complete rebuild

To: "Dereck C" <derex39@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: 70 MGB no start after complete rebuild
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 12:28:19 -0600
Now I remember - its the chuck. Yes, I've been there. It is off set so you
have to pull the chuck and reinsert it 180 degrees so the offset points the
other way. As I recall, I was able to use a 5/16 bolt to screw in enough to
grip the chuck (or whatever the term for the gear is) and pull it out. This
was on a 71 BGT when I did it but it seems like the offset has to point a
certain way when the car is at TDC - I realized my error before I put the
distributer in. This was about ten years ago so details are sketchy. The
point remains the same - you can get the timing off by 180 and not get the
car to start.

David