Re: 70 MGB no start after complete rebuild

To: "Dereck C" <derex39@hotmail.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 70 MGB no start after complete rebuild
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 07:57:45 -0600
At 01:39 PM 8/16/2000 +0000, Dereck C wrote:

>I am running out of ideas.  Today, I am going to see if I am out 180 degrees
>on the timing by changing the plug wires around (1,3,4,2).  If that does not
>work I am going to spary starter fluid into open carbs (though I hate to, I
>have heard you can do some serious damage with that stuff).  Still no go, I
>am going to wire the positive terminal directly to the coil (temporarily)
>and change the LT lead to the coil.  Please tell me someone has experienced
>this before and knows exactly what the deal is.  It is acting exactly like
>it was before the rebuild.  All I can remember then was that it just stop
>running and I could never get it to run again.  I know I have changed alot
>of variables (new parts and rebuilds) and I know that is not the right
>approach to take, you live and learn.  FYI, I bought the car in May 1998,
>one month prior to step one.  So I don't know the history prior to that,
>could be some serious DPO in it!.
>
>Come on MG list gods don't let me down.
>
>Dereck
>
>FYI I am on the digest, so please respond to my address.
>70 MGB

Change the spark plug wires? Would that work? You need to check that the
distributer is not off by 180 degrees. If so, remove the distributer and
insert it in 180 degrees the other way.

To check, put car at TDC - verify valve position by removing valve cover.
Check valve timing. Then check the distributer position.

David
67 BGT
71 BGT