Overheating a bit and No sightings of late

To: "MGB" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Overheating a bit and No sightings of late
From: "Dave Wood" <djw69@idt.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 09:57:52 -0700
Where are all the lbc's in the Portland metro area?  The only interesting
cars I seen lately is a Viper that was showing off on the freeway yesterday.
I was headed for a customer in my B doing about 70 with top down of course
and I heard a great set of pipes.  Looked to my left and here was a Viper,
probably in 3rd gear racing up and letting off to hear his pipes.  He
couldn't have been doing that to impress me in my crusty old 72 B.  Anyone
stuffed a V-10 into a B lately?  Forgot to mention, I did see a right hand
drive white TD drive by my house last weekend with top up in 75 degree
weather.  Must of been a replica?

I do have a question for the list.  Are there any good products to clean out
the water jackets of accumulated rust and scale with engine still in the
car.  I've replaced my thermostat and still noticed a bit of overheating.  I
noticed some scale built up in the thermostat housing.  The coolant looks
clean and the water pump has been replaced 2 or 3 times in the life of the
car.  The overheating appears to be related to outside temperature so I am
concluding that my system is clogged up a bit and reaches a steady
temperature depending on outside temperature rather than thermostat.  It has
been cooler here lately, 70's to low 80's, whereas my real concern was when
we were in the low 90's and the temp gauge was pushing the high end,
especially when I got on it in a lower gear or am stuck idling in traffic.

Dave 72 B (original owner) Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA