Re: Cutting tools

To: MG <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cutting tools
From: Jeff Fayne <fayne@attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 12:27:56 -0500

Ken Waringa wrote:

> Last week I asked about air nibblers, and got a lot of good responses, some
> for and some against air nibblers.  I guess what I really need to know is
> which air tool is best for cutting sheet metal (some rusted) from my cars.
> I can't afford to go buy a whole tool box of cutting tools right now, so I'm
> trying to find one tool that will work for most applications.  Specifically
> I am going to be removing floor pans and outer sills.  The outer sills are
> on my 74 MGB.  A previous owner cut them partially out and I need to finish
> the job.  The inner sills and floor pans on this car are in very good
> condition.  The floor pans are on my son's 79 MGB.
>
> I would appreciate any recommendations.
>
> Ken Waringa

Two must haves that I can think of:
Definitely a good 4" angle grinder for cleaning up the sheet metal prior to and
after welding. You'll us this alot. You can buy thin cutting discs which will
come in handy for cutting fine lines in the outer panels (fender/quarters). I
prefer an air cutoff tool for this, but on a budget the angle grinder will
suffice.

An air chisel for breaking welds and zipping out the floor. A cheap(er) one will
do, get a panel cutting bit and a forked spot weld breaker. Don't use on outer
panels, you distort them.

Nice to haves: small angle die grinder for cleanup of cuts and new sheetmetal.
I've seen cheapies in the $30 range, they'll work ,but won't last as long as an
IR or Chicago Pneumatic.

Good luck and let us know how the project progresses.