Re: Touching up original color on my car.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Touching up original color on my car.
From: Kimo Tichgelaar <77MGB@excite.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 12:41:46 -0700 (PDT)
If you try to match a faded color, you might have trouble if the new
material fades to a lighter shade (this is a big problem in restoring
historic fabrics and paintings).  In theory, you can artifically fade your
new paint with strong UV lights (firms that test materials for longevity
have a setup for this, but they are not common, and I have never seen one
used for this purpose).  Alternatively, you can use a UV bloc on the car to
slow fading, in hopes that the two colors will stay in relationship to each
other.  If left alone, it will eventually fade to a similar color if it is
the same base and pigment as the original paint job (formulas change without
warning: if they added a UV bloc to the paint, it might not fade the same,
and newer synthetic pigments are more stable than older materials).  A good
paint shop should be able to match the paint, but a complete respray will
give the best results in the long run.

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000 00:30:11 +0000, Eric wrote:

|  BONNILA@aol.com wrote:
|  >
|  > Several years ago I had my 1968 MGCGT painted the pale primrose yellow
|  > that was on the original car. Apparently a similar compound to the old
|  > paint was used--no clearcoat, etc, and a tendency to fade.
|  >
|  > A few weeks ago, I had to re-do the driver's door because of a major
|  > scratch. The door panel now sticks out like a sore thumb! The body
|  > shop said that it would be impossible to match the fade and
|  > consistency of the color and that the whole car would have to be
|  > redone.
|  >
|  > Does anyone have experience trying to match original style faded
|  > paint? I'd hate to spend big bucks.
|  >

Kimo Tichgelaar
"A man with a good car needs no justification/
Fate is in my hands, and in the transmission."
-Gang of Four

Say Bye to Slow Internet!
http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html