novice question on clutch hydraulic replacement & performance

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: novice question on clutch hydraulic replacement & performance
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 10:13:37 -0400 (EDT)
Notice the novice, not the newbie...means this particular repair is a
first time for me.

Story: clutch on a 76B, 4 speed works fine before this situation...clutch
hydraulics disappear on a nice Sunday afternoon drive.

So I replace the MC, the SC & the line (not pretty but intact). Bleed the
line but then, I don't know what bleeding really means (and thanks for
some of the older answers a bit ago guys). Tried a few things but am stuck
now.

Symptoms: clutch point at the floor or below the floor
     trying to get into reverse creates a horrible grinding noise 8 out
of 10 times (which makes me think the engagement point is beyond my foot's
reach),
     with a bit too much effort I can go from 1st to 2nd to 3rd to ....

I certainly would appreciate some help about i) what to do next and ii)
explain to me what is the mechanical issue that I am stuck with.

TIA,
Bill
'76B

"Sacred cows make divine hamburgers."