Re: Why does oil cost so much in the UK? (non lbc)

To: simon_atwork@hotmail.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Why does oil cost so much in the UK? (non lbc)
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 13:56:55 EDT
In a message dated 9/1/00 1:29:39 PM, simon_atwork@hotmail.com writes:

<< This question is interesting to me because we know why gasoline/petrol
costs
so much in the UK -- it is the tax that is applied. The world price of crude
is pretty constant, and I believe the pre-tax price of gas/petrol is not too
far different between the UK and the US.

Yet, I don't think engine oil is subject to such a tax, so why the 3x (or
even up to 6x) difference in price?

Simon >>

A better question is why nearly everything is more expensive everywhere in
the developed world--and some of the underdeveloped--than in the US?  I
travel internationally--Asia and Europe, mostly--and I rarely buy anything at
all except  returning gifties for the kids and wife.  I know why it is
cheaper to buy Japanese electronics in the US than in Japan--the incredibly
multi-layered Japanese distribution system in which each layer must take
profits or the national culture would collapse.   But what about elsewhere,
especially in an era of disappearing import & export tariffs?
Some of this must be the VAT (Value Added Tax) that is submerged into the
purchase price, but that can't be all of it.
As a side note, I was shopping in Seattle with a friend from Germany.  He was
buying software that was (surprise!) much cheaper in the US than in Europe.
However, he was enraged when the 5% purchase tax was added at checkout.  I
asked him why he preferred to have his 17% VAT hidden in the purchase price
rather than have to confront a 5% tax when buying.  He really couldn't say.

Jay Donoghue
72B
72B-GT
66 Mustang