Re: Why does oil cost so much in the UK? (non lbc)

To: <ATWEDITOR@aol.com>, <simon_atwork@hotmail.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Why does oil cost so much in the UK? (non lbc)
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 20:04:30 +0100
Why *is* Federal tax included in the shelf price but local taxes only at the
checkout?  If a store had some checkouts either side of a state line I could
understand it, but surely the store knows how much the local taxes are going
to be when they price the goods, so why not include it in the shelf price?
Is it historical like UK school holidays are in August because in medieval
times they all vanished then to help with the harvest?  Or political as in
"Just look how much how much you are paying to those thieves in the Town
Hall"?

PaulH.