Re: Humble Pie

To: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Subject: Re: Humble Pie
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 09:06:20 -0700
On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 09:32:36PM +0000, Eric wrote:
> Larry Colen wrote:
>
> Sounds like fun to me :-)  Yes, I am also wary of those banged up cars
> on the track.  They are not quite as fussed about bending a fender as
> most of us are.  Plastic and fibreglass parts are often more resilient
> to the odd scrape.. and are frequently cheaper to replace.

Actually, none of the cars were all that banged up.

> Go on Larry... who had the 'line'?  ;-)

After the race, one of the other racer came up to me and said, "You have no
way of being privvy to this but the car you hit is dead slow through
the corners".  I talked to the driver of the car I hit, and this is my
reconstruction of the event.  The other car is very slow. She probably
came into the cyclone on the qualifying line (leaving lots of room on
the inside).  One of the H-Prod rabbit drivers who tend to be both
fast and aggressive, passed her on the inside at the cyclone. This being
a challenging part of the track, I'm pretty fast there since I have
home track advantage.  I was charging hard trying to catch the other
MG.  I didn't really expect folks to still be there when I got there.
When I got there and the other car was still there, I started to go
"under" her, when she turned in right in front of me. I caught her
left rear fender with my right front fender and spun her off the
track. We both agreed that it was one of those "just racing" incidents,
where things happen and there is no time or space to avoid them.

> > Anyways, I've scanned the better of the pix from the weekend of the
> > rolls of film that have been processed.  They are on the web at:
> > http://www.red4est.com/lrc/lday00/
> >
> > You may be most interested in the ones labeled mgpaddock as they
> > show  Jasmine and the two race prepared MGBs that I was competing
> > against.
>
> Great photos (what happened to the car lying on its side). Oh yeah... I
> bet the red MG racer goes fast, too :-)

The first I saw of the incident was noticing the turn worker jumping up and
down holding an extinguisher over his head. The flagger was probably waving
a yellow, but from where I was standing in the paddock, I didn't see that.
I was actually showing my girlfriend how to use my camera when the excitement
happened.

> Ahhh, I now have a lust (even more) to run around Thunder Hill... what a
> great name for a track!

It's a fun track. I've got about two weeks to get my car fixed up for
the next track event there.

> > Oh and the pictures marked bunny don't have anything to do with MGs,
> > one of the rabbit drivers parked his car on the driver door in the
> > cyclone.
> >

> Oh.... *he* is the bunny :-)

And I later found out, the driver is named Eric.

   Larry

--
Million Monkey Software -
Our code sucks, but you should see this thing we wrote called Hamlet.