Re: I'm not to Stowe, because...

To: Carl W French <cfrench@cybertours.com>
Subject: Re: I'm not to Stowe, because...
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 14:48:50 -0400
Carl,

Thanks - I towed it back, had my mechanic look at it (I'm learning, but I
don't know stuff quite to that degree).  His assessment was that the head
gasket was toast, it at least needed rings, and probably if we're ripping
it apart we or I should do it right and check that nothing else got trashed
in the process.  It looked like it got pretty roasted.  Some oil leaked out
of the lid above the valves and fused on, so it was right hot in there.

I was going to go to BCNH on Tuesday, but had to work late or something and
couldn't get there.  Ah, well.

I'm actually not regretting having to rebuild it - it'll be good for me -
I'm more regretting missing Stowe and the foliage.  It could be an excuse
to buy an emergency backup B, but I don't think my wife would go for that... :)

I'll definitely be buying some stuff from Sam, and I know Brit-Tek has some
rebuild kits.  Probably I'll be sending checks to both over the course of
the winter...

Thanks for the offer of help - I'll definitely avail myself of it.  Being
my first rebuild, I'm not going to pull it off by myself, that's for sure.

I'll be driving in the spring, one hopes!

Darn, I just remembered I was going to put OD in the car.  Hey, if we have
to take the engine out anyway... ?  Uh oh, I recognize the "while I'm in
there anyway" syndrome.  (sigh)

Thanks all.

- Tab